The following are Web 2.0-like tools in LMSs. If added or incorporated, these tools help learners use LMS content as a resource for sharing ideas in networks and communities. See how they work:
- Google-like search - allows learners to search ALL text in the LMS content.
- Bookmarking - allows learners to bookmark specific pages as references, keeping a bookmark list.
- Send a URL - allows learners to send email of a specific page in e-Learning content.
- Note-taking - allows learners to make notes for every page as they wish and download or print the notes. Notes can be searched.
- Learner-driven learning - allows learners to record their own desired learning paths which may contain a combination of company- provided e-learning, informal learning, postings from blogs, Wikis, and others like readings, personal projects, etc.
- Comments - allows learners to add comments to e-learning content to be shared with all learners.
- Ranking - allows learners to rank relevance of content and present them to all learners in a ranked format.
Although these tools may be restricted by companies and may not fully operate as networking tools, having these tools provide your learners some exposure to Web 2.0-like tools.
Ray Jimenez, PhD www.vignettestraining.com
"Helping Learners Learn Their Way"