Characters carry the learning messages in SBLs (Scenario-Based e-Learning).
Characters in SBL stories serve these purposes:
1. Make the story more relevant and meaningful.
2. Allow us to empathize with the pain and pleasure of the characters.
3. Make us feel the situation in a more emotional way.
4. The story, event, or situation makes the learning real.
5. The learning becomes accessible and easy to follow because the characters carry the messages.
6. We see characters represent our own lives.
7. Character represent, express, or embed the messages of the content. Susan Smith Nash writes about characters and their roles in learning. It is a refreshing view on how Hollywood producers stress the value and impact that characters bring into our learning design. Check it out.
Ray Jimenez, PhD www.vignettestraining.com