Friday, April 17, 2009

Storytelling is two-way - about SBLs? Washington DC conference

Storytelling is two-way

How does my hero, the blind swordsman, listens and catches a fly with chopsticks?

I learned from the conference "Organizational Storytelling" (Smithsonian, Washington DC, April 16-18, 2009):

Storytelling is two way skill - telling and listening. I understood a while back about telling. Listening has not occured to me until now. I continue to ask: can someone listen completely without the mind automatically interpreting the teller's story? Does listening mean putting a hold on our interpretations to encourage the teller? Does interpreting mean interrupting? What is effective listening? In-person and in e-Learning?

Back to e-Learning, how do online learners "listen"? It must be more difficult to "listen" to a character in an SBL, online scenarios? How do we encourage better listening by online learners? What replaces listening or how is the transformation to other skills.. maybe?

I wonder if allowing learners in SBLs to make choices is a way of listening? Would it add value if after the SBL we ask learners three questions:

What do you like with the story?

What image do you remember th emost?

How do apply what you learned?

Allow learners to share their answers to the group.

I remember my hero the Blind Swordsman, Zatoichi, how does he catches a fly with with chopsticks?
He must have another, which others do not have ... just because they sight.

How do we make our SBLs two way?

Ray Jimenez, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! Sharing your comments is very valuable learning experience for me and others. Thanks!