Friday, June 9, 2017

How My Life Changed with Virtual Learning and Webinars - Tip #136


I have never looked back again. My new life is more about quality webinars and virtual learning now.

Let me share with you how I reinvented myself.

1. Initially, I had to do some soul searching

First question I asked myself was, “Why do I love doing classroom and face to face sessions?”

I realized that I really love it because of the warmth of being with people.
There is no substitute for the catharsis and exchange of moving emotional conversations.

The face to face conversations are sweet moments I cherish. I also love the experience of hopping on airplanes and the opportunity to travel to other locations and just to be with people.

It is what I primarily appreciate about it.

Then it dawned on me that there was also an “ugly” part which I only learned during my reflective moments and soul searching.

… I love hearing myself talking with people and entertaining them.
… I love the sound of laughter.
 I love jokes
… I also love seeing smiles 
… I love the warmth of rapport with learners.

But then I asked myself. Are my learners really learning?

My guess is this, and this may or may not be true with you as well.

Sometimes the warmth, entertainment and the fun side of face to face
and classroom learning GETS in the way of better usage of learning time..

I realized how egotistical I was!  (smile)
Enjoying the laughter and warmth of the in-person sessions do not necessarily mean that learning has been achieved.

It was an awesome discovery for me. It has helped me immensely to gain a change of perspective and approach to my learning sessions.

2. So then I asked the next question

How then can I help learners learn more and yet experience the fun side of learning?

AHA… Eureka!

I can accomplish more in virtual learning and webinars, because I can PROVIDE LEARNERS MORE TIME TO REFLECT AND APPLY IDEAS THROUGH ACTUAL PROJECTS.

WOW! This impacted me so hard. It was an amazing discovery.
In the classroom...
  • the day is cramped
  • the schedule is so tight
  • very little time is spent on applications and reflection
  • there is not enough time for reflection
  • there is no room or space to distance one’s self from the noise
  • one’s energy is drained by the end of the session

In webinars...WOW...if the workshop is divided into 5 sessions spaced over a few days,
learners now have ...
  • time to breathe with spaced schedules
  • experience some silence / almost no noise 
  • time for reflection
  • time to rethink 
  • an opportunity for application time
  • time to check with their company peers and bosses
  • have enough time to focus and practice on the projects
3. Hence, my life as a learning catalyst is forever changed

I still miss doing face to face events. Yet, deep in my heart I know I need to give up certain side benefits of the classroom setting for the sake of my learners.

On the other hand, I am thankful for the other benefits gained from my virtual sojourns
  • my family is happy/my kids are happy because I am home more often.
  • my back no longer aches from having too many plane rides...(and no need to worry about being yanked out of my United flight - (smile)
4. Now the next step is to be a master of virtual events and webinars!

Stay tuned next week... I look forward to sharing with you my journey to becoming a master.


Next Tip:

"How I became a 'Kung Fu Master' in Webinars and Virtual Training?"

Also watch out for these other upcoming tips in the weeks to come:
  • What I learned from the WEBINAR Gurus --Thiagi, Lou Russell, Jane Bozarth
  • My Great Makeover from an Ugly to a Beautiful Webinar Presenter!




Ray Jimenez, PhD
Vignettes Learning
"Helping Learners Learn Their Way"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! Sharing your comments is very valuable learning experience for me and others. Thanks!